Monday 6 April 2015

Plans for Next Season

Sometimes exposing your plans and targets to world can provide the extra motivation to do the work required to achieve those goals. So here I am publishing mine on the Internet.

RACE CALENDAR

Having last season end so prematurely with a back injury allowed me to start this season much earlier than usual which works well for the Duathlon Worlds in October. This meant that I could then also target an early season Half Ironman and chose Mandurah as I believe it will be a softer field than any race in Victoria.

  •   3rd May - Puffing Billy Run 15.1km (D race)
  •   21st Jun - Salomon Trail Run, Kew 15km (C race)
  •   19th Jul - Salomon Trail Run, Plenty 17km (C race)
  •   16th Aug - Salomon Trail Run, Olinda 21km (C race)
  •   13th Sep - Duathlon, Richmond (B race)
  •   20th Sep - Sri Chinmoy Half Marathon (B race)
  •   17th Oct - Duathlon World Champs (A- race)
  •   8th Nov - Mandurah 70.3 (A+ race)
Targets:

  •   get 5km run time under 18 mins
  •   Half Marathon under 1h25m
  •   improve swim speed (move to fast lane)
  •   maintain last season’s bike form
  •   top 10 age group finish at Duathlon Worlds
  •   age group podium at Mandurah
  •   qualify for 2016 70.3 Worlds (in QLD)
  •   Elaine is also targeting to qualify for the Two Bays Run in Jan
  •   She needs a sub 2h10m Half Marathon to qualify

RUNNING

As mentioned earlier, running is always my favourite discipline to concentrate on over winter. It helps that I have a 16km out and back running trail outside my door and my work is situated in between the TAN and Albert Park lake. I actually see lots of Bayside members running around the TAN at lunchtime.

Run Plan:

  • 3 months of running with no intensity (other than a couple of trail running races)
  • aim to run 6 days a week
  • hopefully build up mileage to around 60 to 70km per week
  • first run training with intensity is planned for 27th July
  • Note that I will drop the volume and number of runs per week when I start adding the intensity.
  • I go through another 3 phases of run intensity sessions, but I won’t go into that now
Below is the schedule for my long runs (nicely spaced out):

  1.   25th Aor - 80 mins
  2.   17th May - 93 mins
  3.   14th June - 105 mins
  4.   12th July - 115 mins
  5.   2nd Aug - double run: 100 min in morning, 27 min in evening
  6.   30th Aug - double run : 110 min in morning, 27 min in evening
  7.   5th Oct - double run: 110 min in morning, 40 min in evening

Elaine’s long runs will be similar, except for the double runs. Her other training will be similar, but with one less run per week.

SWIMMING

Swimming is my biggest weakness, so my plan of attack is to do 10 weeks of 10km swimming leading into Mandurah 70.3.

Working backwards from this, my swimming follows the plan below.

  •   Now - 2 sessions, 1.5km Tue & Fri
  •   Mid April - 2 sessions, 2.0km Tue & Fri
  •   Mid May - 2 sessions, 2.5km Tue & Fri
  •   Mid June - 2 sessions, 2.8km on Tue, 3km on Fri
  •   Mid July - 2 sessions, 3km on Tue, 3.4km on Fri
  •   Mid August - getting serious (3 sessions, 10km per week)

Note that I won’t worry about any intensity until mid July. Until then I’ll simply work on technique and slowly building distance over time (without wrecking my shoulders). Come July, I’ll start trying to push the pace with the aim of moving into the fast lane around late September.

Elaine is unlikely to do many 3 swim weeks and the distance for all her swims will be considerably less.

RIDING

Riding is my strength and past experience has shown that I can maintain reasonable form with just one ride a week. This is due partly to genetics, a childhood spent on bikes, and a result of some serious bike mileage in my legs over the last 12 years.

Riding is the activity most affected by weather, therefore my ride planning is the least structured:

  •   Now - ride when I feel like (and weather is OK), typically once a week
  •   29th July - ride every Wed and Sat, occasionally a third ride on Sun
  •   late Oct - Bright Alpine Camp

Normally my ‘A’ races would not be until January or February, so my switch to riding twice a week would not happen till October or November. The problem with early season ‘A’ races is that I’ll have to battle the elements in a Melbourne Winter.

Still working on the plan for Elaine's riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment