Friday 20 November 2015

A Man and his Runners

In 2002 I went to a shop called 'The Athlete's Foot'. They had me walk over a pressure pad and based upon my footprint prescribed neutral, cushioned runners. I selected a pair of Adidas Supernova Cushion and loved them (pictured on the right). Note that this pair is no longer used for running, but I find them good for the occasional game of tennis or volleyball.

We then started running with a Nike running group. When we won a pair of free runners, the sales rep said the Nike Pegasus were the equivalent to the Adidas Supernova, so I was then running in the Pegasus. I didn't like them as much as the Supernova's, but they were still pretty good (have thrown out all my pairs of Pegasus, so no photos)

Then I was advised to go to a new chain of running stores called 'Active Feet'. Established by a group of Podiatrists, they use video analysis, supposedly far better than the simple pressure pad. After watching my video from the treadmill, the 'experts' advised that I should be wearing Asics Kayanos (or the Brooks equivalent). At around $260 a pair, the Kayanos were pretty much the most expensive runners you could buy.

The term 'Ramp' (toe-heel offset or drop)

Shoe weight is an easy concept to understand, but I should probably explain what is meant by 'ramp'. The term refers to the height difference between the ball and heel of the shoe. Sometimes known as heel-toe drop or offset. So a pure minimalist shoe like the Vibram 5 fingers (which is flat) would have a 0mm ramp. A ramp of 8mm is around the mid level. Anything less than 8mm is on the minimalist side, anything above 8mm is considered a control shoe. When you hear the term racing flats, it is because it has a very low ramp (the shoe is flat).

The idea of the high ramp is to release tension on the achilles because having the high heel prevents the calf and achilles from becoming fully extended. Of course this also means that the achilles and calf don't grow extra strength over time. So you do not get more injury proof the more you run.

Another downside to the high ramp shoes is that the heel is now a long way off the ground. This means there is a lot of shoe cushioning between your heel and the ground, which actually promotes heel striking (landing with your heel opposed to your mid foot). The body (and brain) will automatically adjust to whatever feels best. So if you stack a whole heap of cushioning under the heel, landing on your heel now feels good. Try heel striking in bare feet and it feels absolutely terrible, which is a clue to the fact we did not evolve as heel strikers.

I won't go into the whole heel strike vs mid foot strike discussion, as there are zealots on boths sides and it can escalate into a religious argument. All I'll say is that I now prefer my runners on the minimalist side of 8mm, but I doubt I'll ever do much running in a pure 0mm minimalist shoe like the Vibram 5 finders or Altra brand of runners.

Asics Kayanos

Weight: 423 grams
Ramp: around 12 mm (possibly more)

So back to the fact that I was prescribed Asic Kayanos. These runners are very heavy, contain lots of control features designed to correct your running and use a large ramp of around 12 mm.

For the next 2 or 3 years I went through numerous pairs of Kayanos, usually bought on special around $170 a pair. During these 2 or 3 years I was pretty much constantly injured - calf soreness, achilles soreness, plantar fasciitis and even sore through the foot. I was struggling to run 25 to 30 kilometres a week and with the injuries rarely strung many consecutive good running weeks together. As a result, my running saw no progress over this period. In fact I'd say it actually went backwards.

Note that just because the Kayanos did not work for me does not make them a bad shoe. They are one of the best selling runners in the world with a huge loyal following. But they are definitely not for everyone.

I've gone off the Asics brand in general, again just a personal thing. During the height of the minimalist trend while other brands were introducing minimalist models, Asics stood firm declaring control and high ramp were still (and always will be) the way to go. While the minimalist movement has definitely peaked and died down, the general shift has moved towards less control and less ramp. Even the new Kayanos now only have 10mm (I'm not certain, but I think the ramp got as high as 14mm).  But Asics' complete denial throughout (to protect their best selling models) has turned me off the company as a whole.

Newton Runners

We came across the Newton Running stand in the expo at the Vancouver Triathlon World Championships in 2008. They allowed us to test them by going for a short trial run, but at first we didn't like them. Then Danny Abshire (one of the company's founders), took us out for a quick running lesson and suddenly the design of the runners made sense (and felt much better). So we bought 2 pairs each, the Gravity trainers and the Distance Racers.

Newtons are wildly different to the Kayanos. They are lightweight and low ramp. However their main feature are what they call 'lugs' under the fore foot.

If running with a mid-foot (or fore-foot) strike, the lugs will hit the ground first. When the lugs hit you feel them before the weight of the foot hits the ground. It is only a fraction of a second, but it is a fore warning nonetheless. Also having less cushioning between the foot and ground allows you to feel the ground better in general, which is a term called proprioception.

What I found when wearing the Newtons was that I was able to pick up my feet earlier thanks to the lugs. I say 'thanks to the lugs' because I was swapping between the Kayanos and Newtons on my runs and could not duplicate the new running style with the Kayanos. Although some of this may be due to the Kayanos' extra weight.

In general switching from a high ramp (ie, Kayanos) to a low ramp (ie, Newton) runner is very dangerous in regards to achilles and calf muscle injuries. Because the low ramp shoes are suddenly putting all this extra stress through the achilles and calf. Whereas before in the high ramp shoes they were being protected, which also means they were not getting stronger, so are weaker than they should be. As a rule of thumb, you should gradually transition across over a period of 3 to 6 months.

Newton Gravity S (I & II)

Weight: 298 grams
Ramp: 3mm (I think)

I've gone through numerous pairs of these runners. Originally they came in white & red and then the Gravity S II changed to white & blue. The newer model felt pretty similar but I found it lasted a bit better. The upper mesh used to rip on the red pair (you can see some of the strands showing on the red upright shoe in the photo).


Once I had transitioned across to the Newtons and stopped running in the Kayanos, I used Gravity's as my main training runners, also the runners I wore in my one and only Ironman.

Something I started doing with the Kayanos was to buy two different sizes - 11.5 & 12. The smaller 11.5's were used for normal runs and I used the larger 12's for runs longer than 60 minutes. On long runs the foot expands, so the larger size allowed for this without loosing a toenail. But the downside was that they didn't fit as well around the heel, so didn't feel as good.

Newton Distance S

Weight: 281 grams
Ramp: 2 mm (I think)

One of my all time favourite pair of runners and my 2nd (or maybe 3rd) pair of this model.

These are the racing version of the Newtons. Well they were back when I bought them. Now Newton have a much larger range including models that are significantly lighter.

Compared to the Gravity trainers, these are lighter, have slightly less ramp and a much softer heel material. If you look at the photo you'll see a fair bit of wear on the outer edge of the heel.

These are the runners I use for races. However I like to wear in a pair of runners before I promote them for races. Usually 100 to 200 kilometres to loosen them up. This allows them to slip on and off easily and also feel good to run in (important when you are running without socks). Once promoted to race runners they are only used for Triathlons, Duathlons and Brick sessions. As a result they are permanently laced with elastic laces.

A lot of elastic laces are designed to be tightened once you put the shoe on. I prefer to double knot the laces and have them loose enough to slip the shoes on and off without touching the laces, but still firm enough to feel good when running. It takes quite a while to get this tightness just right. So I install the elastic laces just before they get promoted to race runners. Usually takes between 5 and 10 runs to get the laces sorted just right. Once perfect, they are double knotted and will never be adjusted again.

Having clocked up 670km, this pair is due for retirement. Finding a replacement has proved difficult. Especially since they do not produce this model anymore (it has been superseded).

Newton Distance S II


Ramp: 2mm (I think)
Weight: probably around 285 grams

These were purchased about 2 years ago with the intention of replacing the previous Newton Distance S (model I) as race runners.


Unfortunately they never got to the stage where I loved them. They have now done 650km, but never achieved that broken-in feeling. Supposedly the changes were very minor with the biggest change being the new colour scheme. But whatever the change was, no matter how small, it removed the magic. Very disappointing considering I loved the previous two pairs of this runner (i.e the yellow model described above).

So now they are one of two pairs of runners that remain in my work locker. I tend to use this pair for the shorter recovery runs

These were the last pair of Newtons I bought. It was the disappointment of these runners that lead me to switch to the Inov8 brand.

Inov8 TrailRoc 245

Weight: 302g
Ramp: 3mm

When we did the first Salomon Trail Run at Kew in 2013, I wore my favourite Newton Distance S runners. These worked well at Kew, but the next race at Plenty Gorge was going to be far more technical. We decided we needed to purchase trail runners, so we headed down to FootPro in Malvern (our favourite running store).

Our original intention was to buy a pair of Salomon Trail Runners (as they were the naming sponsors of the Trail Running Series), but I just didn't like the feel of them (FootPro have treadmills and video analysis to test out the runners). In general the Salomons felt too stiff and plasticky. They didn't really mould to the shape of my foot.

In stark contrast the Inov8 TrailRocs felt awesome. They have what is called an 'Anatomical' fit. Tighter around the heel, but roomy in the toe box. Perfect for me and eliminates the need to buy two different sizes, because the one size is firm around the heel and still has plenty of room for my toes to expand in the toe box. I loved these runners so much, it started a spending spree on other Inov8 models.

The TrailRocs also gives you a great feel for the ground like the Newtons (proprioception).

The only problem with these runners is that the grip could be better. Inov8 have other models with better grip, but at the time I wasn't sure how many Trail Runs we would do and wanted to get a pair of runners that were more versatile. Whereas Elaine bought a pair a of serious trail runners with lots of grip and never has the same problem slipping in the races that I experience (hers were Salomon runners).

Inov8 have discontinued this model, replaced by TerraClaw. The new TerraClaw appears to have lots of good improvements including superior grip. Unfortunately it does not have the 'anatomical fit' that I love so much in the TrailRocs. In fact for some unknown reason they have discontinued the anatomical fit in all their new models (extremely disappointing), even the last version of the TrailRocs.

The number listed as part of the Inov8 model name is the weight of the runner. However probably refers to something like a size 8, whereas I wear a US 12. So all my runners are noticeably heavier than the advertised weight.

Inov8 Road-X Lite 155

Weight: 205g
Ramp: 3mm

These were the second pair of Inov8 runners I bought. They are a very light weight pair of racing flats and like the TrailRocs, I love them.

Same anatomical fit, same 3mm ramp, same very comfortable feel. However they are also extremely light and therefore feel very fast. With such a thin sole they also have a great feel for the ground (proprioception). However on rougher terrain, you can sometimes feel too much of the ground - risk of bruised under foot if the terrain gets too rocky.

I started using these for all my runs, but then accepted that I probably needed something a bit more substantial. Now these are reserved for speedwork and short fun runs (probably anything 10km and under).

Not only has Inov8 discontinued this model, they have stopped the majority of their road running range. Deciding instead to concentrate on Trail and Obstacle Course running plus a fitness range for Crossfit. Just when I found the running company of my dreams, they go and stop making all the products I love.

I did a search on the Internet and found stores that still sell this model. But it was hard to justify another runner purchase when I have so many pairs of runners in my closet. And this pair has only done 300km, so if I use them sparingly they should last for a long time.





Inov8 Road-X 233

Weight:259 grams
Ramp: 6mm

My love affair with Inov8 continued with this model. Initially I was a touch concerned with the 6mm ramp being less minimalist than what I had been wearing for the last few years, but I was pleasantly surprised. These are the best runners I have ever owned !!!

A thicker sole that the X-Lite 155's. Still a good feel for the ground (proprioception), but with more protection and so more confidence when running over rocky terrain. Although with the flat sole you won't get any grip on muddy terrain.


The purple pair on the left were my first pair (have now done 700km). When I discovered you could not buy them anymore I scoured the Internet and finally found a store in Hong Kong which is where I bought the second red and white pair from (140km so far).

These are my 'go to' runners. I keep the purple ones at work and the red and white ones at home. They are also the runners I would wear for a Half Marathon or a Marathon if I was ever silly enough to enter one.

Inov8 Race Ultra 270

Weight: 333g
Ramp: 4mm

With Inov8 discontinuing their road range, this model seemed the closest to road runners. Considering that I do the majority of my running on non technical, flat trails, these looked to be perfect.

Being designed for Ultra Marathons over varying terrains, I anticipated using these for my long runs. The sole would give grip on the dirt but still be OK on hard surfaces. It also has built in cushioning designed for long distance running. It lacks the proprioception of the other Inov8 runners, but feel more sturdy and protective.

Unfortunately they have what Inov8 calls a 'Standard Fit'. This isn't a bad fit, it is simply not the awesome Anatomical Fit made me fall in love with the other Inov8 runners.

So far I've put just over 100 kilometres into these runners. They are good runners, but I don't love them. If only Inov8 didn't ditch the Anatomical Fit.

There is still time for them to soften up and mould to the shape of my foot. Sometimes this can take up to 200km of running. But I doubt it. I think it is very unlikely that I will buy this model again, or in fact any Inov8 shoe which is such a disappointment.

Inov8 Tri-X-Treme 225

Weight: 283 grams
Ramp: 3mm

In my continuing search for a new race runner, these looked promising. Light weight, drainage holes and they come with elastic laces. They are also based on the Road-X-Treme - the only road runner remaining in Inov8's range. So if this shoe works well, it means I can stay with the Inov8 brand.

So far I've run 130 kilometres in them including a local Sprint Duathlon and the Mandurah 70.3 Half Ironman. After testing them in the local Duathlon I went back to the Newtons for the Duathlon Worlds. They didn't feel bad, but my run in that Duathlon was not very good, so I reverted back to the runners I knew worked well.

Part of the decision to wear them in the Half Ironman was that they matched the colour of the trisuit I was planning to wear. Also I thought the drainage holes could come in handy, plus a newer pair of shoes could prove better in a long distance run (the Newton have clocked up 670 kilometres).

The drainage holes would have probably worked if I wore the right socks. Instead I wore cheap socks from Aldi that had worked well in the Sprint Distance Duathlons where I didn't use the aid stations, but were terrible when being soaked with water during a hot 70.3.

In summary these runners have done nothing wrong. They just haven't made me love them yet. But with only 130 kms in them, there is still a chance.

Saucony Kinvara 6

Weight: 255 grams
Ramp: 4mm

Inov8 look like they are no longer the answer for me, so now I have to look elsewhere. I may end up going back to Newton as their recent models look promising. In the meantime I have decided to test out this model from Saucony.

I've been hearing great things about the Kinvara for quite a while. While other brands and models have come in and out of fashion, the Kinvara has kept its popularity and is now on its 6th iteration.

I've done two short runs for a total of 13 kilometres in them so far. I'm still suffering pretty bad calf soreness from Mandurah only a week ago. But my first impression is that these runners are awesome!!!

They remind me a little of the Adidas Supernovas I bought (and loved) so long ago. However they have less ramp (which is better) and much lighter which is also great.

The feeling of cushioning is much higher than Inov8 or Newton runners but they still feel very light.

With the thicker sole, it does lack the proprioception of the Inov8's and Newton's but I don't think this will be an issue. I needed that feel for the ground when I was initially improving my run technique. Now I believe the new technique is more or less set in, so the proprioception is not as important. However it is something I'll need to monitor, and will mean that is important that I always keep something like Newtons in the runner rotation.






Nike Free

I didn't think my list of runners would be complete without my favourite pair. I don't actually run in these, instead I use them as my favourite pair of casual shoes. Nothing feels as comfortable as my Nike Free's especially after a long training session (bike and/or run).

The pair shown are my 4th or 5th pair. Luckily, other than different material options and colour schemes, they feel exactly the same since they were first introduced nearly 10 years ago.




What's Next

I'll definitely be trying out the Newton Distance S III or the recently released Distance S IV, both of these models have 5 lugs, whereas all the Newtons I have owned up till now have had 4 lugs. Opinions are a little divided about the 5 lug version, but the majority seem to think it is an improvement. I anticipate this could be my new racing runner. With the new model IV just being released, it should mean some nice discounts on the now superseded model III, and I love a bargain.

Other brands that interest me are Hoka Hoka, Under Armour and Zoot. Under Armour and Zoot both have triathlon specific models and both seem to understand the minimalist side of runners. Hoka Hoka (usually referred to as 'Hokas') have a low ramp but a heap of cushioning. They are basically platform runners (not that I need to be taller). I struggle with runs longer than 100 minutes and my thinking is that the extra cushioning of the Hokas may help me run longer. I've run in them on the treadmill at FootPro and they felt OK, but not great. I ran in the Kinvaras on the same day and bought the Kinvaras. Worth noting that the video analysis also showed the Kinvaras suited me better.

If we continue doing the Salomon Trail Runs and similar events, I will probably look for some new trail runners with more grip. Inov8 have the MudClaw 265 and Talon 212, but as mentioned earlier, I've gone off this brand since it changed the fit of its shoes. The other option is the Salomon S-LAB Sense 4 Ultra SG that I wore in the Silvan Trail Run. Being demo shoes they have already been broken in a little, so had lost some of the hard, plasticky feel. They probably didn't feel as good as my current TrailRocs, but the grip on muddy sections, especially downhills was 10 times better. Unfortunately at around $220, they are extremely expensive.

You'll have probably noticed I tend towards the more niche brands rather than your classical Nike, Puma, Adidas, Asics, Brooks, Reebok & New Balance. Saucony probably just classes as a classic brand, but the Kinvara model has been amassing a cult following over the last few years and stealing athletes away from the more niche brands.


No comments:

Post a Comment