Thursday 18 October 2012

Nursing the Body through

My body is in desperate need of a massage, but funds are a bit low at the moment so I'm to train without antagonising my muscles too much.

So far this week has been relatively easy. Monday night Elaine and I jogged a slow 2.7km recovery run and then stood waist deep in the bay for 10 minutes to add to the recovery affect. Recently there has been a few warmer days and the temperature of the bay has noticeably improved, unfortunately standing in the bay works better when it is colder.

Elaine missed the Tuesday morning swim due to another interstate work trip. A pity, because the weather made it feel like summer and half through the session 5 or so hot air balloons slowly drifted overhead. They were so low, it looked like they were sent to spy on our training session. The swim sessions themselves are often 3.5 to 4km in distance and I never complete the session due to fatigue or time constraints. With Elaine absent, the time constraints were now gone and I was keen to see how much of the session I could get through. Ironically it was an unusually easy day and the full session ended up only being 2.8km. Less than I usually do, but I still finished feeling pretty tired.

Wednesday was Ride To Work Day. Again Elaine missed out due to still being interstate. The Hawthorn Velodrome on the Gardiners Creek Trail is only about 200m past my usual turnout, but Wednesday morning they were offering free food and coffee to all cyclists, so I happily made a small detour. The food was plentiful and tasty and the coffee (from a coffee van) was delicious and served in a huge cup - very much worth the detour. After eating a beautiful (and very large) fruit scone and finishing my coffee I continued the last 2km to work where I enjoyed another treat of muffins and croissants put on for those who rode to work. The total mileage to and from work was just over 70km.

Tonight I'm coaching a run session. Hopefully I'll get in 8 or so kilometres myself. Friday morning will be the usual swim and then I'm coaching a ride/run session on Saturday.

The Saturday session involves 3 one hour rides, each followed by a 30 minute run. I don't intend to do much running, but I'll use the ride portions to further test the new Cobb saddle on my tri-bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment