Wednesday 12 December 2012

Eight and a Half Weeks to Go


I've pulled up reasonably well from my 5km Fun Run effort. In truth I often find the short, fast runs are sometimes less stressful on my body, because my running form tends to be better when I run fast. Unfortunately my knees have not really improved and feel a little worse after a visit to the zoo on Sunday. Elaine also has a sore knee after falling 200m before the end of her long run on Sunday morning.

Elaine and I are into the 4th week of our 12 week program for Geelong - I'm racing the Half Ironman and Elaine is doing the Olympic Distance. So far we have both managed to complete nearly all the scheduled sessions, with only a couple of recovery runs being missed. However Elaine is struggling with a lack of sleep which is affecting the quality of some of her sessions. An improvement in time management skills would see her getting to bed earlier, something that is very important when the training load increases.

Tonight I'll be doing my first John Van Wisse open water swim session of the season and tomorrow morning Elaine and I will do our first mid-week Velodrome session. Hopefully we'll both get an early night. The weekend will start with us both attempting our longest run of the season (18km for me, 15km for Elaine), followed by a long ride on Sunday (130km for me, 60km for Elaine). If all goes to plan it will be a 13 hour week for me and 10 hours for Elaine - biggest week of the season so far for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment