Sunday 17 February 2013

Post Geelong


Since racing at Geelong, I have done 4 training sessions, Elaine has done 3 and between us we have polished off 5 bottles of wine (one of those was Champagne). As you can tell, our focus has waned a little. The Sprint Race at Elwood (selection race for the Age Group World Championships) and Geelong were our 'A' races for the season. All we have left is two Sprint races which we are obliged to do as part of our sponsorship deal with Rocket Science and XOSIZE (at least we get free entry). The next race is a week away at Sandringham and is the State Championships. I'm hoping a lot of the faster competitors will miss the race due to Ironman preparation and I might sneak onto the podium.

Elaine, Mark and Peter all seem to have pulled up very well from the Geelong race. I'm still a little sore - mainly in the achilles (that dreaded injury I've avoided so far this season) and my hamstrings. My four training sessions since Geelong have been at the veldrome, a bay swim, a long ride and a short but fast brick session. Everything went well at the Velodrome and bay swim, but the ride on Saturday was probably a little too long (115km) and too fast.

Peter, Mark and all the other Ironman competitors will be enjoying huge training loads for the next 3 weeks before their 2 week taper begins. With the last 2 races separated by only 2 weeks, Elaine and I will be enjoying a very light training load that will either be in recovery or taper mode.

I have to go now, we just popped the cork on a lovely bottle of French red wine.

1 comment:

  1. Rob thanks for this post. I'm glad someone will be enjoying the last weeks of the season.

    ReplyDelete