Sunday 21 July 2013

Time for a Rest


There is now 8 weeks to go until the Age Group World Championships in London. Actually the Sprint Race is on the Friday, so there is 2 days less than 8 weeks to go. The countdown is on !

In the past I've said I only need 5 weeks to get ready for a Sprint Race. Being the World Championships, I tried to start my program further out, but I think I went too hard too early. The result is I'm already sore and in desperate need of a recovery week already. The main issue is my old knee injury (patella tendinopathy) triggered by overly tight quad muscles, but my calf and hamstring muscles are also very tight and sore. Unfortunately financial issues have meant I've been skipping my usual monthly massage and it has come back to bite me in a big way.

On a positive note I managed 4 swim sessions this week for a total of 11.2km in the pool this week. Biggest swim mileage since November 2011 and second biggest swim week ever. My swim form has been frustratingly poor this season, but coach Craig picked up a technique flaw this morning which will hopefully turn things around.

Elaine is also struggling a little at the moment. Currently doing extra studies she has found it difficult to get to bed early. Being tired is not a great start when it comes to training, but other factors have also got in the way. Attempting her usual ride to work last Wednesday, Elaine suffered 2 punctures when she rode over a rock in the dark. It was not a good week for punctures and I experienced a flat tyre in the car this weekend.

Including Elaine I now have 4 athletes I'm writing programs for (Elaine, Mark, Stef and Jen). Coincidently they all have last names beginning with Mc, maybe we should be called Team Mac. Another girl Merryn is about to sign up, but she doesn't have a Mac surname (she'll have to just be an honorary Mac).

Mark, Stef and Jen were all entered in Run Melbourne today. Mark completed the Half Marathon in 2h12m, Stef the 10km in 54 mins and I haven't been able to find the results for Jen's 5km run yet. Mark and Stef just missed their PB times, but the Run Melbourne course is quite tough (ie. hilly) and according to Stef's feedback report it was very crowded which made it difficult to post a good time.

Elaine and I are both competing in the 2nd race of the Salomon Trail Run next Sunday. It will be at Plenty Gorge and going by the Race Information Booklet will be a far more technical race than Kew (lucky we bought new trail running shoes). We'll probably have an easy week leading up to the weekend. Not so much because of the upcoming race, but more because our bodies need a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment