Monday 24 October 2011

Injury Update

The sharp pains in the knee have completely gone, but it still aches a lot, especially in the morning or going up stairs.  I have been icing the knee twice a day and also applying anti-inflammatory gel.  It appears to be improving, but slowly.

As is always the case when you are injured, the weather last week was unbelievably good.  So good that I actually swam in the bay on Wednesday afternoon.  The official temperature of the bay has risen to 15 degrees (from about 10 over winter), but the water at the Seaford beach is so shallow that it heats up a lot quicker and I'd estimate the temperature to be at least 17, possibly higher.  But at least today the weather has had the decency to rain, so I don't feel so bad.

I'm not actually in rest mode, just limited training mode.  This is frustrating because I had intended to ramp up the number and length of sessions over this period.  My run is currently limited to around 8km, although I am now allowed to add a bit of intensity.  The road bike causes pain to my knee, but due to the different geometry I am fine on the triathlon bike but cannot do the long distances.  And naturally I am free to do as much swimming as a like (I don't enjoy swimming so much).  Last week I still managed 9 hours of training, so hopefully I'll at least be able to maintain most of my fitness and form until my knee fully recovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment