Thursday 19 July 2012

Catching up on Sleep


My knee had become a little sore after the ride two Saturdays ago. I missed the Dandenongs Ride last Saturday (looked like it was a great ride) and did two runs over last weekend instead.

Last week's run mileage was 32km. Not big by normal standards, but easily the biggest so far this season and my knee seems to be complaining about it. In general I almost felt like I was getting run down. Tuesday morning I skipped the early morning swim session and ended up taking a sick day from work - which of course meant I didn't go for my usual Tuesday run either.

I was back at work on Wednesday, but rather than try to sneak in a catchup training session I decided to have another training rest day. Wednesday night I had my Chiropractor appointment and we went over my knee X-rays. There are minor signs of wear and tear but nothing you wouldn't expect to see on a 20 year old athlete and I'm 43. This doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with my knee, it simply means the skeletal side is all good and the problem lies in the tendons.

Having not done a ride on the weekend and having missed most of the seasons so far this week, I decided to make it a recovery week. Originally I thought my current training load was too light to require a recovery week, but it seemed to slot into the overall training plan quite well. I reduced today's run to 6km (down from 8) and hopefully I'll start to feel better and slowly ramp the load back up over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment