Thursday 14 June 2012

Review of the Rocket Science Goggles

Rocket Science (Vostok)
Old Speedo goggles
Over the years I have collected a fair number of goggles. On the left is a picture of the new Rocket Science goggles. They are the Vostok model, I have no idea what Vostok means or stands for. I am currently using the Rocket Science goggles for my pool swimming, replacing the old Speedo goggles shown on the right.

In the pool I like to have my goggles fitting quite loose. A tight fit will often result in what Elaine calls the possum look - dark circles around the eyes (goggle imprints).  Having a loose fit increases the chances of them leaking and the older the goggle the more likely they are to leak as the rubber seal becomes less supple.

You'll notice the speedo goggles have much bigger rubber seals. I've found this style more suitable to wearing the goggles loose. However I've been wearing the Rocket Science goggles loose and so far not even a hint of leakage. It is unfair to compare them to the much older Speedo goggles, but I cannot remember the Speedo goggles being as comfortable and leak free even when they were brand new.
Finis Thunder

Engine
Last season I used Finis Thunder goggles (shown on the left) for my open water swims and races. I wear my goggles a little tighter when swimming in open water. You don't want to be stopping to adjust leaky goggles in a race and the open water swims are often a shorter duration than pool swims, so less risk of possum eyes. The Finis goggles are designed for racing and have less rubber in their seals and fit a little smaller - less chance of being knocked off my other swimmers. I bought the Finis goggles to replace my Engine goggles (shown above right) for open water swims. The Engine goggles are a similar racing style, but the big advantage of the Finis ones was that they are clear all over allowing better vision. There are no lane lines in open water, so sighting becomes very important. With the entire goggle being clear I found my vision while swimming was much improved.
Comparison of Finis & Rocket Science

On the right is a comparison photo that shows the Rocket Science goggles I'm using in the pool are almost exactly the same style as the Finis goggles I use for racing and open water swims. While I love the Finis goggles in the open water, I find they don't work as well in the pool - not as good with a loose fit. Whereas the Rocket Science goggles have been the best I've ever used in the pool.

I received this pair of Rocket Science goggles for free as part of my XOSIZE, Rocket Science Ambassador Program, but I'll definitely be buying more pairs (with my own money). They are the most comfortable and leak free goggles I have ever used. They come in the smaller racing style shape I prefer, but are also excellent in the pool. Due to it being Winter, I haven't tested them in the open water yet. I suspect the biggest issue might be visibility, but hopefully there will be different versions available to address this.

No comments:

Post a Comment