Sunday 3 June 2012

Slow Progress

I did two 7km runs this week, but my back has flared up again and I'm getting pain in my left knee again.

Early in the week it seemed my back was improving and I ran 7km on Tuesday without any pain.  After the physio worked on my back Wednesday night it was quite sore and I experienced a small amount of back discomfort during the Thursday run.  On Friday my back was noticeably sore and my left knee was also starting to hurt and my back has continued to get worse during the weekend.

I believed the original injury to the patella tendon was almost completely healed.  The main soreness always came from where the patella tendon attached to the shin and it is now difficult to find a sore spot in this area.  Now the pain seems to be coming closer to the patella itself.  During the infamous basketball game, I fell heavily on my left knee very early in the game.  I'm worried I have re-injured the tendon higher up (I really hope not, because I am getting very sick of having an injured knee).

This weekend I have done no training.  Instead I have enjoyed extra time with my kids, caught up with friends for a lovely lunch at the Mentone Hotel and then celebrated our 2nd Wedding Anniversary at the Boathouse Restaurant in Frankston that overlooks Kananook Creek - a good view of part of the Ironman Melbourne Run Course.  We may decide to have lunch here next year's race, I think spectating is going to be far more fun than competing.

On the positive side I did 2 swims last week.  I cannot remember every doing 2 swims in one week during May.  Previous seasons I would average one swim a fortnight (or worse) until August.  So while my running goals have been put on hold, I can hopefully make good inroads into improving my swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment