Monday 13 August 2012

Muscle Fatigue

Elaine and I plan to race the Duathlon at Richmond this Sunday. My original intention was to train right up to the event and then have an easy recovery week afterwards. However my body feels like it is currently on the limit, one hard session away from injury.

Not surprisingly the running speed work on consecutive Tuesdays has taken its toll. I believe I gained a lot out of the speed sessions. Having not done any fast running for about 10 months, I needed to re-discover my rhythm. On Saturday morning I joined the early morning Cycling Obsession ride. The ride was surprisingly subdued, which was good, but I when I went for an easy 4km run off the bike, my legs felt extremely heavy. I skipped the planned hilly ride in the Dandenongs on Sunday and instead did a long 14km run. My legs felt quite heavy for the first 5km of the run, felt good for the next 5km, but then everything felt quite lousy for the last 4km.

This week I'll still swim as planned, but cut back on my running and will probably skip the Saturday morning ride. I need to do lots of stretching, foam roller work and single leg squats, plus I have a massage booked for Wednesday night which should help loosen everything up. The main areas of stiffness are my quads and ITB, closely followed by my calf muscles and I have minor discomfort in my knees - probably because of the tight quads and ITB.

Sunday afternoon I started prepping my Tri-bike ready for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment