Sunday 26 August 2012

Bayside Classic

The week started off easy as I recovered from last Sunday's Duathlon, but hit full speed as I participated in the first edition of the Bayside Classic - organised by the Bayside Triathlon Club. The ride was 120km and contained several Intermediate Sprints and King of the Moutains (KOM). Points were available for the first 4 riders past each Sprint and KOM point. Each one had a starting point about 1 kilometre before, so you could not break away early and steal the points.
With very little riding mileage in my legs, I knew 120km would be too far. So I decided to join the ride as it got close to my house and finish at my house on the way home - this would result in a ride of under 90km. This would obviously mean I would miss the final sprint, but I'd still get a chance to participant in some Sprints and all the KOMs.
After coming fifth in the first sprint (one place out of the points), I managed to get on the scoreboard with a 4th place on the Oliver's Hill KOM (600m @ 6.5%). I did one better on Balcombe Hill (2.4km @ 4.1%) with a 3rd place and managed another 4th place climbing up Arthur's Seat (2.8km @ 8.7%).
I was never intending to climb Arthur's Seat. It is very steep with several sections over 10% gradient and I was worried it would flare up my knee injury. However as I approached, my resolve to skip the climb weakened. When the peleton continued up the hill, I simply followed. I started off easy with no intention of fighting for KOM points, but other riders slowly dropped away. Riding a hill that steep was always going to take a lot out of my legs, but I still felt reasonably good.
After Arthur's Seat we headed back towards Mornington. I love the twisty, undulating roads along the cliffs in Mt Martha, but right near the start we encountered a detour leading us up Bradford Rd. This unexpected detour involved a 1.8km climb at an average of 6.6% gradient. Not a huge climb, but I think the unexpected nature of it made it worse, plus it was one of those hills that just kept going. Bradford Rd continued all the way back to Nepean Hwy which meant we would miss the last KOM at Beleura Hill. Not that I would have scored any points, the mileage we had covered and the extra hardship of the detour hill had left my legs with nothing. I was dropped by the peleton before we reached Mornington and rode home with one other rider from the group.
All up I was extremely happy with the ride. It was well organised over a great course with well positioned Sprints and KOMs. I missed the last 3 sprints after being dropped, but that gives me extra incentive to get into better shape before the next event. And my power file showed some great figures, the sort of effort I cannot duplicate in a normal ride.
After the ride I was completely wrecked. All my muscles felt fatigued, but I don't believe I suffered any injuries. Today I managed a slow 14km run. Again I felt fatigued but not overly sore.
Below is the Strava details for the Bayside Classic Ride:

No comments:

Post a Comment