Saturday 20 April 2013

Age Group World Championships Team for London

The email containing the provisional team lists came through at 5am this morning. Elaine was always going to make the team easily, but my chances were not looking so good.


Even though I was fastest qualifier in the selection race I completed, looking at the results I could see a lot of people did multiple selection races. Considering that each race was in a different state, I figured people would not be travelling interstate unless they were looking to qualify for the Australian team. What made it even worse was that the Canberra race (that I did not do) was worth double points, so there were a lot of people ahead of me on the points table. In fact a quick check showed I was ranked equal 24th with 4 other people and they only select the first 20 from each age group.


Anyway, back to the email - both Elaine and I made the team. I was the last person selected, but surprisingly there were only 18 in my age group. Some people raced both the Olympic and Sprint selection races and chose to be on the Olympic Distance team while a few others did multiple races but did not sign up for the Worlds. My first reaction was delight at making the team, but then there was a slight bit of disappointment realising my excellent result at the selection race at Elwood made no difference to my selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment