Sunday 14 April 2013

Slowly Running Further

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm currently following Phase I of Daniels' Running Formula. This means I do all my runs at an easy pace whilst I try to increase my weekly run mileage, which also builds up resistance to injury before introducing intensity.

Rather than mapping out all my runs for the week, I've been running more to feel. The general plan is run every day as long as I feel OK. And the distance of each run is also determined by how I feel - which I usually don't decide until halfway through my run.

Last week ended with a long run of 15km bringing the weekly total to 44km. I've given up the idea of focusing upon a long run during phase I, and this week I managed 6 runs (longest 12km) for a weekly total of 54km. Below I describe how the week unfolded:
  Monday: Easy 8km Run on Seaford Trail after work
  Tuesday: Swam 1.8km, didn't run due to slight soreness
  Wednesday: 12km Run on Seaford Trail before work
  Thursday: 6km whilst coaching run session
  Friday: Swam 1.8km. 9km Lunchtime run along the Gardiners Creek Trail near work
  Saturday: 26km Mountain Bike Ride followed by a 11km Trail Run
  Sunday: Easy 8km Run on the Seaford Trail

As shown above, I skipped the lunchtime run on Tuesday due to mild soreness.  I also skipped a short morning run on Thursday because I could feel a small knot in my achilles going up and down the stairs as I was getting ready for the run. On Sunday I resisted the urge to go for a long run and only did 8km. Hopefully this will set me up well for similar mileage next week.

Daniels suggests 3 weeks at the same mileage before trying any increases. As it takes about 3 weeks for the body to adjust. Originally I'd planned to do 6 weeks of Phase I, but I may extend this period (and reduce all the other phases), if I think I can extend the mileage a little further.

No comments:

Post a Comment