Sunday 7 April 2013

New Season Ahead

Last season I improved in every discipline, but mostly in the swim. It is no coincidence that swimming was the only activity where my training was consistent throughout the whole season, resulting in a total mileage 25% more than my previous biggest. Consequently, my swim splits often outranked my run in the results - thereby now making running my weakest leg. So no surprises my focus through the off season will be my run. Naturally I will try to maintain my consistency with swimming, but I suspect the bike mileage will once again fall off during Winter. It is not as fun riding in the cold and rain, I'm more a solar powered kind of triathlete.

During my recovery from injury and leading up to Ironman, I followed a Maffetone philosophy to run training. Last season I kept some of Maffetone's ideas but leant more towards a Lydiard approach. This upcoming season I'm planning to follow Daniels' run training formula (how could you ignore someone called Jack Daniels).

The first phase of Daniels' Running Formula is Foundation and Injury Prevention (FI). This simply involves 6 weeks of running at an easy pace while I build up my weekly run mileage (I started last week, so I only have 5 weeks left in this phase). Ironically Maffetone and Lydiard's approach in the first 6 weeks would be exactly the same. The main difference is Maffetone is extremely keen on the use of heart rate monitors whereas Daniels prefers to work at a specific pace based on your VDOT score (Lydiard's coaching methodology was formed before the widespread use of heart rate monitors).

Your VDOT score is a simplistic valuation of your VO2max based upon your best race results across different distances. Whereas VO2max represents what you body is potentially capable of, VDOT represents what you have actually achieved. So in a lot of ways the VDOT is a more accurate training tool as it incorporates other unknown factors that affect your performance.

Based upon my best 5km time of 18m45s (in very windy conditions), I calculate my VDOT as 54 (link to Daniels VDOT table). Based upon Elaine's best race results, she would be a 37, but in her current post season condition I think 34 is a more realistic value.

A VDOT of 54 for me means the following training paces:
    Easy: 4m59s per km pace
    Marathon (borderline comfortable): 4m14s per km pace
    Threshold (uncomfortable): 4m00s per km pace
    Interval (hard): 3m41s per km pace
    Repetition (fast): 3m35s per km pace

A current VDOT of 34 for Elaine means the following training paces:
    Easy: 7m10s per km pace
    Marathon (borderline comfortable): 6m13s per km pace
    Threshold (uncomfortable): 5m48s per km pace
    Interval (hard): 5m20s per km pace
    Repetition (fast): 5m05s per km pace

Hopefully Elaine will progress closer to a VDOT of 37
    Easy: 6m43s per km pace
    Marathon (borderline comfortable): 5m48s per km pace
    Threshold (uncomfortable): 5m25s per km pace
    Interval (hard): 5m00s per km pace
    Repetition (fast): 4m43s per km pace

Looking at the different paces, I think Elaine's are spot on, but other than the Interval and Repetition, mine look much faster than what I'm used to (which makes me think I start off with a lower VDOT as well). As Elaine and I will only doing Easy runs for the next 5 weeks, I'll leave the discussion of the other training zones for a later time.

In fours weeks Elaine and I are doing the Puffing Billy Fun Run (13.2km) where we race against the train on a very hilly course in the Dandenongs. Due to the nature of our training plan, we will not be able to target this race. Instead we'll toe the start line without any specific training (although we did do hill repeats 3 weeks ago, before I decided to follow the Daniels Formula). I've also abandoned my plan for the 5km Fun Run at Princes Park the week before.

The full 4 phases of the Running Formula (6 weeks per phase) will take 24 weeks (23 weeks left). This should set us up perfectly for the Age Group World Championships in London where Elaine and I hope to race for Australia in the Sprint Distance Triathlon. In the meantime we hope to do 2 other Fun Runs, a 5 or 10km at the Sri Chinmoy, Princes Park in July and 10km or Half Marathon at the Sandy Point Half in August before the London Triathlon in September. We would have loved to have raced in the Duathlons (especially since I've gone up an age bracket), but the dates simply don't work for us. I am continually amazed at how often the scheduling of these Duathlons clash against other events commonly attended by Triathletes.

After London we have the iconic Noosa Triathlon in November. This is an overpriced Olympic Distance Triathlon at the wrong time of year for Melbournians, but it is such a famous event we figured we needed to do it at least once. Unfortunately peaking for London in September will almost certainly mean we will not be at our best in November. But probably just as well because the very crowded race will make it very difficult to get a good time. Knowing we are just there for the experience the great atmosphere will help us enjoy the day even more. And once we are back soaking in the sunshine at the beach, or sitting at our hotel sipping Expresso Martinis, we'll soon forget our results in the race.

With an unusually packed pre-season by our standards, I haven't given much thought our Summer races yet. Maybe best to see how we feel in Sprint before deciding our schedule. But I expect it will be similar to this year with the XOSIZE Sprint Triathlons and Geelong in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment