Saturday 18 February 2012

Fingers Crossed

My injuries are improving but the wound on my hip is still looking pretty nasty and I still cannot run.  Walking is fine, but I cannot even run across the road.  However even this injury feels like it is slowly getting better and I hope it will only be a few more days until I can go for a short run.

This morning I did the usual bike shop ride except that I took my road bike (tri-bike is still in race setup).  The hip was a little stiff but did not hamper my riding.  Towards the end of the ride my left knee (original injury) started to ache a little, but not as much as it usually does on this ride.  Coming back from Port Melbourne the pace of the ride always picks up and today was no exception, in fact I think it has been getting a little faster every week.  I was still in the lead pack as we approached Mordialloc (location of the big sprint), but my calf muscles were starting to ache so I decided to refrain from any sprinting this week.  I suspect the calves have stiffened up due to my lack of training.

I rode 91km this morning.  Conditions were perfect and I would have loved to have ridden longer, but the saddle sores were causing problems and I didn't want to do something that would stop me riding tomorrow.  This afternoon I converted the tri-bike back into training setup (different wheels, brake pads and readjusted the brakes and rear derailluer).  It also has a new seat to trial - part of a seat exchange program offered by Cyclespeed bike shop.  Hopefully the saddle sores will behave themselves and I'll get in a long ride tomorrow of around 6 hours, but I suspect that is extremely wishful thinking, especially since rain is forecast later in the morning.

The next 3 weeks should ideally be huge training weeks before the 2 week taper leading up to the race.  Not being able to run due to injury, not being able to swim due to open wounds and being limited on the bike due to saddle sores is definitely not a good start.  So I'll just cross my fingers and hope that my body magically comes good.

No comments:

Post a Comment