Wednesday 22 February 2012

Still Sidelined

I'm still cannot run (hip injury) or swim (open wounds), but I did do a 50min Windtrainer session last night.  A windtrainer attaches to the bicycle rear wheel and transforms a standard bike into a stationery bicycle.  It is pretty boring and you get extremely hot and sweat lots, but I suspect I'll be doing a lot more of these sessions in the near future.

Yesterday I visited the physio to get my hip/groin issue looked into.  When I crashed on the bike (and fell on my hip) I suffered significant trauma to the hip socket. This has resulted in a lot inflammation, bruising and fluid in and around the joint. The pain I experience in the groin and hip flexor region is actually referred pain from the hip joint. Worst case scenario is that I have damaged the inside of the hip socket (I think it's called the Labram) - this would require a major operation to repair, otherwise it would deteriorate and I wouldn't be able to run at all within 5 years. But the physio does not believe this is the case as I have too much movement still available in my hip.

So now I'm on anti-inflammatories, I have daily exercises and stretches to do and I see the Physio again on Friday. Best case scenario I may be OK to re-commence running by Monday. But even with this best case, it will have been 3 weeks since I've run, so I'll have to start back doing much shorter distances. While the Physio thinks I can still do Ironman (assuming the injury responds to the anti-inflammatory) I will not be able to get in the long runs I planned. I will be lucky if I can get my long run back to 20km. So the chances of me being able to run the entire marathon is almost non-existent (extremely disappointing).

1 comment:

  1. Disappointed for your too Robbie. Hope the hip and the nether-regions are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete