Tuesday 11 September 2012

Tune Up


Since the last Duathlon 3 and half weeks ago, all my running has been very slow. I've been keeping everything below my aerobic threshold as I slowly start to build mileage into my legs. I've run just under 40km for the last 2 weeks including 5 consecutive days of running totalling 47km. With the next Duathlon this weekend, I decided another speed session was in order, just so I could remember how to run fast.

I knew the Tuesday night session at the Athletics track involved 4 x 6 min efforts with 2 mins full recovery in between. My intention was to run the first 2 and optionally the third effort if I still felt good. Talking to coach Clint before the session, he suggested the first effort at 5km pace, the 2nd at Half Marathon pace and the 3rd at 10km pace. Clint suggested I also do the 4th effort, but I decided against this.

  5km pace: 1.65km @ 3m37s, HR 169bpm
  Half pace: 1.40km @ 4m13s, HR 162bpm
  10km pace: 1.54km @ 3m59s, HR 165bpm

The 5km pace was probably a fraction fast and I doubt I could have maintained it in a race (would have been a 18m05s 5km). But the Half speed felt ridicously slow and the 10km pace very easy, so I was very happy with the session.

It was also Elaine's first training session after being sick for 2 weeks. She also did 3 sets, I don't know her times, but she appeared to be running very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment