Tuesday 25 September 2012

You can't win them all (especially if you don't participate)


My original intention for last weekend was to race a 10km Fun Run. After clocking up less run mileage than hoped I decided I would instead aim for a good time in the 5km (was hoping for 18m45s). When my foot played up the week before at the Kew Duathlon, I started having second thoughts about any Fun Run.

Elaine wanted to race the Duathlon at Knox. If I was skipping the fun run because of injury, it would be pretty silly to do a Duathlon instead, so I went for a hilly ride in the Dandenongs.

Now that the results have been published for all the weekend races, it appears that I would have scored some good results had I competed. In the Duathlon I would have won my age group by 10 minutes and finished top 10 overall. The winner in my Age Group of the 5km Fun Run (and 5th overall) finished in 18m38s, only 7 seconds faster than my target time and a big gap to second place. I would have also needed a great race to score a win in the 10km (38m48s), but would have easily snared 2nd place having to only beat a time of 40m47s.

Despite these missed opportunities, I'm planning to skip the next Duathlon as well. Elaine will be racing, as she only needs to finish to take the series win (I've checked and it is mathematically impossible for me to win the series this year).

The problem is that Elaine and I will both be doing the Kinglake ride the day before and I really don't think my body can handle 2 tough days in a row. Time will tell how well Elaine's body copes.

No comments:

Post a Comment