Wednesday 28 March 2012

Run - 4h45m10s

Onto the run and I was feeling so happy that I was no longer on the bike. It felt so great to be running after such a long bike ride.  My main problem was trying not to run too fast.
I generally always run well off the bike. I was speaking to my friend Bill (who was also doing the Ironman) and we think we might run better off a 20km bike leg than we do when running on fresh legs.  It felt like I was going at walking pace, but my GPS watch (that I had moved from the bike to my wrist) was showing the pace dipping under 5 minute kilometres which I knew would not be sustainable with my lack of run training.  I picked out an older looking guy in a bright orange top who looked to be running well and decided to sit behind him - as long I resisted the urge to pass, he should keep me under control.
My heart rate was a fraction high, but well within the range I had planned and the running itself felt effortless. It was probably the most enjoyable part of the whole race but knowing that I hadn't been able to put in the run training, I knew this feeling was not going to last.

The run initially heads south to the base of Oliver's Hill (the path remains very flat).  It is a little depressing to be running further away from the finish line, but we only head that way for about a kilometre before turning and begin heading towards St Kilda.  After we get back past the transition area the route winds around a lot. At times it feels like we are running in circles and once we get on the Kananook Creek path (shown in the adjacent photos) it feels like we have truly started the run.

My nutrition plan was to grab 2 gel blasts at each Aid Station which were situated approximately every 2km.  When I asked for Gel Blasts they handed me a full packet with the top pre-opened - this was much better because I was worried the gel blasts would get soggy in my sweaty hands.  With the packet in one hand I was able to easy grab a blast whenever I wanted and I alternated between water and Gatorade at each Aid Station.  Sitting on the aero bars for nearly 6 hours on the bike must have pinched a nerve that runs between my elbow and hand, because my hands were now extremely stiff and sore.  Most of the time I had to carry the nutrition in my left hand, otherwise my right hand would start to cramp quite badly.

The picture on the right shows me running on the road directly opposite my house.  Elaine had situated herself on a deck chair out the front drinking a glass of wine.  I knew she hadn't been there long, because she was in Frankston when I started the run and also took the pictures of me above on the Kananook Ck trail.  She beat me home from Frankston by riding her pushbike.

At this point in the run I was still feeling pretty good.  It no longer felt like I was running extra slow, but my legs were feeling good I was feeling confident that I could at least make it to Mordialloc (about the 20km mark of the run).  The first official live site was just up the road at Keast Park (next to the Carrum Bowls Club).  We crossed over to the coastal trail for about 300m before we entered the park.  Kevin from Gravity Zero had his marquee tent setup along the path and it was good to see another friendly face (or even Kevin's for that matter). I've forgotten whether the 10km marker was just before or just after Keast Park, but I remember thinking the first 10km had been easy.

After Keast Park we returned to the left lane of Nepean Hwy and this was a section I hadn't been looking forward to.  Obviously I'd never run down the left lane of the highway before, but I had ridden it numerous times and I knew it had a nasty camber. My fears were well founded as it didn't take long for the camber to upset my knee.  Strangely enough I found my knee felt less pain when I ran faster, so I upped the pace about 20 secs per kilometre.  This raised the heart rate a little, but it was still within an acceptable limit. Plus I was not worried about running out of fitness, I always knew that it would be my body that gave up first.

At some point along Nepean Hwy I started to feel sick, not badly, I could just detect a slight disturbance in the disgestive forces. With this in mind I decided to hold off from the Gel Blasts for a while and switch to having Gatorade at every Aid Station to try and make up for the carbs.  This approach seemed to work as my stomach slowly settled back down and later on I was able to continue with the Gel Blasts.

Northbound cars on Nepean Hwy limited to one lane because of the race were brought to a standstill.  The competitors were literally travelling faster than the cars.  I doubt the usual amount of Nepean Hwy traffic would be a problem, but so many people were trying to follow friends in the race.  I beat Elaine to Mordialloc because she caught the Ironman Shuttle Bus.

About the 17 or 18km mark I started to feel fatigued. If the run was only 21km, I could have easily pushed on, but with the majority of the Marathon still ahead I slowed the pace right down and moved into survival mode.  Luckily my knee pain did not come back, even though I was still running on a cambered road.  Up till this point I had been picking off railway stations and things had been moving well.  Now the distance between Aspendale and Mordialloc seemed so far.

I was very happy to finally arrive in Mordialloc, it had been one of my pre-race goals to run all the way to Mordialloc. The happiness was dented a little when I realised I was still less than half way.  Dave was at Mordialloc to cheer me on, unfortunately Elaine was still stuck on Nepean Hwy in the bus.  From Mordialloc we ran on the path next to the beach.  This was one of the nicest parts of the run, especially after suffering so much from the cambered road.

We headed back to the Beach Rd path around Beaumaris and predictably it was a very steep ramp between the beach and the road.  This was the first (but not the last) section of the run I walked.  Once on Beach Rd it was nice to be such familiar ground.  It helped take my mind off how sore I was.

I was now reduced to a very slow shuffle. I was walking longer and slower at each Aid Station. In the picture to the left you can see my friend Matt keeping me company on the bike. Whereas the bike leg was extremely lonely, the run leg was full of familiar faces.  The Aid Stations popped up more regularly and they always had lots of encouragement.  Our first names were printed on our Race Bib.  One of the advantages of moving so slow is that it was easy for people to read the names and even strangers cheered you on using your name.  In the photo on the right, good friends Rob and Sue are cheering me on.  They have both done multiple Ironmans before, so knew exactly how I was feeling at this point, which off memory was around the 24km mark.
My longest ever run before this had been 22.5km, so I was now breaking new ground.  And I was breaking new ground after swimming 3.8km and riding 180km.  The picture to the left is just after the 30km mark.  Even at the slowest pace I can run, I am doing everything I can to hold form. Because I know once I start to slump forward everything will very quickly fall apart.  This is where the Core Strength exercises really paid off.  By engaging my core muscles, I could hold my posture high - this will reduce the strain on the hips, legs and back.  I could feel my core muscles starting to ache, but nowhere as bad as my legs.

Racing in your home town has the advantage of local support and I had heaps.  Of special mention are my wife Elaine and good mate Dave who together continually popped up to cheer me throughout the whole run course.  I've already mentioned Matt who rode next to be for a while and above right is a picture of a good friend Peter who rode with me for the last 10km. Despite seeing me struggle terribly over this period, he has decided to sign up for next year's race.  The other photo shows Dave, John and his son Jake who all cheered me on at North Rd, which was great because this was probably my lowest point of the whole race.

Just after the 37km mark my knees gave out. Up till then they were about the only part of my body that wasn't aching. But once they went I was reduced to a walk.  I continued walking for about a kilometre and during this time I was passed by a club member Bill who looked like he was going to finish very strongly.  After about a kilometre of walking I came to the conclusion that walking was just as painful as running, so I might as well run - as this would get it over and done with quicker.
The last 4 kilometres were absolute agony. Every step caused intense pain, but I knew that if I kept going I could stop once I passed the finish line.

The last 2 Aid Stations were magnificent.  They were manned by Triathlon Clubs and were full of so much energy and were willing the competitors on.  As I entered St Kilda there was a group of 40 or so people that weren't an Aid Station, they were just there to rev up the competitors and the noise they made as I ran through the middle was almost deafening.

Every part of me wanted to stop, but the crowds were now getting bigger and everyone in crowd was yelling encouragement.  People were holding out their hands for low fives.  Nobody in the crowd cared what time the athletes did, they were just so impressed that you were finishing the event.

I was in so much pain, I forgot to smile for the camera when I crossed the line.


 But I managed a smile (of sorts) for Elaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment