Sunday 6 May 2012

6 Weeks Since Ironman Melbourne

After the Ironman I could barely walk for 2 days.  It took 4 or 5 days before I progressed passed a slow shuffle.  About 10 days after the race I could move normally, but my body was still prone to stiffening up - very noticeable when getting out of a chair.  Naturally my condition slowly improved over time.

As the general soreness ebbed away, the pain in my knee became more obvious - it was definitely going to make me pay for running a Marathon.  After all, what sane person runs a Marathon with an injured knee, at least I warmed it up beforehand with a long swim and ride.

As the weeks passed my knee gradually improved, although nowhere near as quick as I would have liked.  I did a very easy 2.7km run thinking that might loosen things up a little - it didn't and the knee ended up a little more sore.  A few weeks later I ventured out on an easy 35km ride and the knee gave no problems during or after.  Unfortunately every weekend since then the weather has been miserable so I've stayed in bed.

Since Ironman my healthy diet has slipped considerably.  I cannot remember ever consuming so much chocolate at Easter (mmm, tasted good) and my alcohol consumption also increased.  This unhealthy living resulted in indigestion problems and also a reason why the inflammation in my knee was not improving.

I am now banned from chocolate until my knee comes good, down to one coffee a day and off alcohol for the next month to give my digestion system a chance to fully recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment